Thursday, March 29, 2007

To Suzanne, From Matt

Ummm hey!! *Looks around at the almost new surroundings*
Yup, it's true, it really is. I am here! *Guilty smile*
Please don't drop dead with shock/ surprise/ disbelief/ excitement. I don't want to cart your limp selves around .
Soooooooo, I know I've been a slacker. Got enough reprimands for that. Sorry, but was busy. (Ha!)
Note: For all you original thinkers, this post is not going to be a reprieve! No siree!
I was reading a book when I stumbled over this beautiful piece of poetry. (Again, for all those who know what I think of poems, please don't drop dead with shock/ surprise/ disbelief/ excitement. I don't want to cart your limp selves around.)

So yeah, I'm just going to reproduce something I found, but I HAD to put it up. I dunno how you'll like it, or even if you will, but it really moved me ... almost made me fly.




Dear S,
You are an explosion of carnations
in a dark room.
Or the unexpected scent of pine,
miles from the hills.
You are a full moon
that gives midnight it's meaning.
And the explanation of water
for all living things.
You are a compass
a sapphire
a bookmark.
A rare coin
a smooth stone
a blue marble.
You are an old lore
a small shell
a saved silver bit.
You are a fine quartz
a feathered quill,
a fob from a favourite watch.
You are a valentine
tattered and loved and re-read a hundred times.
You are a medal in the drawer
of a once sung hero.
You are honey
and cinnamon
and Indian spices,
lost from the boat
that was once Marco Polo's.
You are a pressed rose,
a diamond ring
and a red perfume bottle found near the Nile.
You are an old soul from an ancient place,
a thousand years, and centuries and
milleniums ago.
And you have travelled all this way
just so I could love you.
I do.
Love,
M

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ladki! great job.......which book is this----more importantly, who's the author????
It is soooooo damn romantic........sigh!!!!
If only real people were this articulate!!
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it :)

Anonymous said...

okayyyyy...... so that anonymous complimenter would be meeeeeeeee!
and since I'm putting my name on your borrowed creativity, Ishani it is indeed a better post than a lot of mediocre original stuff!


Now that I've written something sarci, I feel better :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm...it's nice.

RB said...

It IS beautiful.

That Girl said...

For me, three portions stand out:

You are a valentine
tattered and loved and re-read a hundred times


You are an old soul from an ancient place,
a thousand years, and centuries and
milleniums ago.


And the best -

And you have travelled all this way
just so I could love you.
I do.



Niiice.

vidur said...

...

Silver Mist said...

@Saumya: I know, isn't it amazing!!
The book is 'Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas'. (Nicholas being Suzanne and Matt's son)
And the author is James Patterson. He's almost my fav author!

@Ashish: Yeah!

@Richa: Yeah!

@Amiya: Hmmm, nice choice. But I loved the first two paragraphs the best! 'Explanation of water' and 'explosion of carnations'!! Wow!

@Vidur: Urmm.. wha?

Bathe In Metal said...

Nice! :D

Like it!

Jayant said...

I'm in hurry. I'll read it later. :P

Jayant said...

..A hurry.*

~Lord Anshul said...

waise i'm dumb when it comes to lit. in general and poetry in particular :(, but if i m, so be it. i liked it.

but for me best is..

You are a pressed rose, a diamond ring

Anonymous said...

SUPERB lines.
I don't really enjoy poetry much, but at times it sort of stays! This has that incredible quality..

And you have travelled all this way
just so I could love you.
I do.


Awesome.

Jayant said...

Liked two parts:

And the explanation of water
for all living things.
.
.
You are a medal in the drawer
of a once sung hero.


The rest of it is pretty lousy. :P

Jayant said...

And the first line,
You are an explosion of carnations
in a dark room.
,
is just way too cheesy and soppy! *Gag*

But, I really love those two lines that I've mentioned above.

Shreya said...

hmm...i agree with jayant on the first line bit.... the carnations didnt really appeal to me!!
but i loved the line valentine and water line...and the ending...
Im not a 'poems' person...but im a die hard romantic...
loved it.

Swetank Gupta said...

And you have travelled all this way
just so I could love you.
I do.


These are the only lines in the poem that I feel evoke an emotion. The rest of it is pretty bland for me. The imagery used throughout is very good, but it is overdone. It might have been better to take some of them and buid up on those images rather than listing them all out. It's sachharnie sweet as far as I am concerned.

I'm sorry, I know you really like it but it did not touch me except for what Amiya and Rohit have quoted and I agree with Jayant on the first two lines. It' too obviously done. I little subtlety would've brought a smile. This didn't.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I love your "About Me" page--that's as far as I've gotten...
You sound like you have the spunk to actually do all those things...
cheers!