Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Book-Tagged

Oooooooooookay, I've been tagged again. AGAIN. I told you, didn't I tell you, and let me quote - "By the way, I just KNOW you're waiting for me to finish this tag. So that you can come up with another one real soon, to torture my poor soul. I just know it."
However this tag is close to the heart! It's about BOOKS, for chrissake!! :D
But I'm a natural born cribber, so I will crib, particlarly becuase I wrote this one line which I liked a lot! And that is - As I said, these TAGS will be the death of me. Ah me! Such a martyr! :D :P

Anyway, without further ado let's get down to business......... Here is my book history!

Number of books I own
Ummmmmm.... Damn! Can't believe I got stuck on this one! I think, around 300-350. Not counting my various comics, which constitute a totally different section!

Number of books lent out to others that never came back
A set of 30 'Archie' comics, which I lent to distant 'cousins'. NEVER returned!! Imagine.......30! And I was 12 then and those comics meant the world to me! Sniff sniff! :(
Besides that, at least 4 Enid Blytons lost to stupid stupid STUPID classmates!! Arrrgh! :x

Number of e-books I have
Again.... A toughie! I think around 200. (Maybe I should ask
Swetank.)

Last book I bought
'Undercover Economist' by Tim Harford.

Last book I was gifted
'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts. Though I still haven't seen it! My parents have bought it. It's my gift. But it's still in Bombay! :)

Last book I read
'False Impressions' by Jeffrey Archer. Awesome!! Awesome!
And I have to mention the second last one too - 'Freakonomics' by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Awesome!!! Awesome!! AWESOME! :D

I'm currently reading..
'Undercover Economist' - Tim Harford
'The Eldest' - Christopher Paolini
'Parineeta' - Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay
'Gora' - Rabindranath Tagore
'The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer' - Mark Twain
'Murder Of Roger Ackroyd' - Agatha Christie

AND looking for more!

Five books that mean a lot to me
1) My entire 'Harry Potter' series.
I don't let ANYONE touch those!

2) 'Atlas Shrugged' and The 'Fountainhead'.
Both these books taught me something totally new and different.. Masterpieces!

3) 'Freakonomics'.
It's just a recent purchase but I love it! It's brought about a whole new meaning to our dull economics and it means a lot to me for just that.

4) My 'Shakespeare' collection.
God! I love that man... And his comedies, his romances, his tragedies!! Everything!

5) My 'Archie' comics collection.
Yes, I made another one after losing those 30, and that is why this one is even more special! Around 80 comics in this, I just can't bear to part with them even after my mother's constant admonishing that they take up too much space!

Three books I started reading, but never completed
1) 'The Three Chimpanzees' by Jared Diamond.
2) 'Steppenwolf' by Herman Hesse.
3) 'Ignited Minds' by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.

Book that made zero sense to me
1) 'The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari' by Robin Sharma.
Actually all the self-help, I-will-teach-you-how-to-live-your-life-because-you-don't-know-anything kinda books just don't go down well with me!
2) 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho.
Again similar. Let-me-tell-you-about-the-world-because-you-don't-know-anything kinda book.
My most treasured books
Basically EVERY single book I own! I don't think I can part with any of them or bear to lose them or see them soiled in any way.. Books are way too special for me and I just can't understand those who don't enjoy reading! I think they're missing out on something absolutely beautiful!

People I Tag
I didn't tag anyone in my last tag post.... So I think I'll continue that trend.
Though
Jay, you might wanna try your hand at this! :D

13 comments:

That Girl said...

Great post!! Loved it!
And see, it was meant to be written so don't you crib about it now.

And are you including all your dad & mom's books and your phupha's awesome collection too??

And how come I never got my hands on ANY of those hundreds of Archies you own... you miserable wretch x( x(

Steppenwolf! Can't forgive you ever for not making it through that book.

And Roger Ackroyd is one of the best Agatha Christies!! Absolutely stunning. You know who did it? It's.... uhh, okay okay, not telling ya.

So next time you go back home, you're coming back with 50 Archies for me. No question mark, it's a statement made with absolute certainty and total ruthhhhlessness (which shall be exhibited if the statement is not complied with).

Jayant said...

Aaaah...I'll tag myself someday with this one!

Nice post! I don't think I've even read 10% of those books! SAD!
I really do wanna read Salman Rushdie though. I think I'll borrow it from you someday! Oh, that remids me...I have to read pather Panchali too! Forgot all about that! :P

~Lord Anshul said...

Whoa !!
fundoo post..i tag myself, but i will take my time before writing this one.

and trust me, even i think the alchemist is hyped, but coelho scored in 'veronica decides to die'. i think that book shud be made must read in all asylums and rehab centres.

and ignited mind, my friend took 3 months to finish it, and every night he picks tht book, next morning we guys wake up to find, tht tubelight is still on and book is floating somewhere near his bed :P

and economics and all, nerdyyyyyy !!:P


and in case u like bangla stuff to try chokher bali too, and thrz another book 'mrityunjaya' by shivaji sawant..awesome is an understatement for it.

anyways wait till i post my list

R said...

I also could never finish Ignited minds :| :| :|

Ditto for the self-help jazz. I just can't understand why they sell so much. Ugh.

And..naah, no Shakespeare here :|

Anonymous said...

i dont know why u wanted me to read this post????

anyway nice post! :)

"I just can't understand those who don't enjoy reading!" :(

Silver Mist said...

@ Ami: Thunku! Yes,including my parents' books. They ARE mine. Not phupa's though. I'll get some comics for you, didn't know you were such an ardent Archie fan!!
Yeah! Steppenwolf was way too boring for words... No clue why you love it so much!
And lemme finish Roger Ackroyd in peace. Please! :D

@ Jay: Yeah, thought you might find it interesting! I'll get a couple of Rushdies for you.:D
Hurry with the post though!

@ Anshul: Yeah! I've heard some good reviews for VDTD... Let's see if I get my hands on it. And Freakonomics was so much fun to read. You should read it too. Amazing!
Hurry with the post.

@ Rohit: LOVE Shakespeare! He's amazing! :D

@ Vidur: Thanks! Yes, that's true!!

Anonymous said...

I never knew abt ur secret treasure. I wonder u liked freakonomics, even though u hate eco( so, it means u liked freak's part of it).

Anonymous said...

Nice collection u have.
Mine is not even 10% of it. And, how many books can u read simultaneously ... don't u mix up the plots?

Tarun

Richa said...

hey, this is a cool post. i've liked this tag right from the original blog( Swetank's for me) to Ami's and now yours. i know i don't read as much as you but it's always nice to read about your love.

nice!!

Swetank Gupta said...

Whoa!! COOL POST. Truly, completely, totally, overwhelmingly, painfully, fell in love with it. One of the best I've ever read :)

On to the finer nuances of the post.

GOD! You've got some 350 books!!!. My parents never bought anything. I've only started building a collection now and have some 20 books to myself :( I'm so so jealous. I'd so love to sleep with those books of mine. :D Now I didn't mean anything over here, but you get the drift, right?

Poor ol' you, you've lost quite a few books, though. Guess it's a price you have to pay for your love at times (ah! so philosophical).

I've heard Shantaram is a very good book. Got it with me, just no time to read :( Am so stuffed with books right now. Have atleast 20 that NEED to be read and I don't seem to have any time.

I'm going to buy FReakonomics soon.

Eragona dn Eldest are awesome books. Too good. I mean, just the scope of thought that that guy, whose hardly our age has is mind blowing. Am so waiting for the 3rd one in the series, now that we know Harry Potter is going to die.

Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I do not have the self restraint that Amiya exercised. I want to play the spoilsport, but now that I'm commenting so late, you might've already read it, so no use letting out the suspense over here!

You bet, Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged give you such a differen viewpoint of the world that for a moment you actually start believing in that world. One of the best cases of vicarious reading ever!!

Shakespeare!! Yep, he's too good. Except for the plays, you read any of his sonnets? Read sonnet 18 by him. Very nice. Even others. And have you watched Shakespeare in Love. Good movie.

Recently read Siddhartha by Hesse. I will certainly give Steppenwolf a try, given that Amiya swears by the book. Let's see if I can reach the end.

You can add Ignited Minds, The Alchemist and The Monk Who.... to my not so likeable books too. I think I mentioned all 3 in my post too :D

I guess, I seriously guess, it's a long enough comment. Waiting for your next post for a longer comment ;)

So long!

Swetank Gupta said...

Have I ever told you I really really really really like this name of yours, SILVER MIST. It's so good, it's essentially indescribable for me, but it leads to such vivid imaginations, it's awesome!!

If you come up with another of these suitable for me, tell me. I'll be obliged!

codeextracts said...

Bookworm!

I read similar post in Amiya's blog (or was it someone else's blog) some long time back.

Good to know about these books, though I've read only three from the list that you've mentioned and one of them is Alchemist which I actually liked :P

Silver Mist said...

@ Ashish: Yup! The freaky part it is! :D

@ Tarun: Hehe!

@ BASTM: Thunku thunku!

@ Swetank: Thanks! Yes, I'm rich!!I know, Christopher Paolini rocks! Shantaram is awesome! I don't like Shakespeare's sonnets! No Hesse for me, couldn't swallow Steppenwolf.
Thanks a ton for your looooooooooooong comment- Just the way I like it!
How about some [colour] maze/mist foryour name??? :D

@ Harry: Yes! I'm a self-confessed bookworm! Alchemist-- UGH!